● 6 tbsp unsalted butter, divided, plus more for eggs
● 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
● 1 1/4 cups whole milk
● Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
● 8 slices thick sourdough or French bread
● 1-2 tbsp Dijon mustard
● 8 ounces Kretschmar Pre-Sliced Baby Swiss
● 8-12 slices Kretschmar Off the Bone Ham
● Fresh thyme, for serving (optional)
1. Melt 2 tbsp butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Once melted and foaming, whisk in flour and cook, whisking constantly for 2 minutes. While continuing to whisk, slowly pour in milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon, 8-10 minutes. Remove bechamel sauce from heat.
2. Preheat oven to broil. Spread thin layer of mustard on one side of each slice of bread. Melt 2 tbsp butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Place 2 slices of bread, mustard-side-up, in skillet and top with layer of Swiss cheese and 2-3 slices of ham. Spread a few tablespoons of bechamel sauce over ham, then top with another layer of cheese. Place slices of bread, mustard-side-down, over sandwiches. When bottom slice is golden brown, carefully flip sandwiches and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Transfer to rimmed baking sheet and repeat with remaining butter, bread, ham, and cheese.
3. Top each sandwich with remaining bechamel sauce and cheese. Place sandwiches under broiler for 3-5 minutes, until top is golden brown.
4. Meanwhile, melt 1-2 tbsp butter in nonstick skillet over medium heat and fry eggs to desired doneness, seasoning with salt and pepper, to taste.
5. Once sandwiches are golden brown, top with eggs and serve immediately. Garnish with fresh thyme, if using.